Located in a Landmarked district on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, this 1887 townhouse was completely transformed, only the historic façade remains of the original house. Desiring to maximize the ceiling heights throughout, the garden level was lowered by three feet which also created a seamless transition from interior to exterior space. The rear roof was raised, resulting in gracious ceilings heights at the upper levels.
Light permeates the building: an oval skylight brings natural light down through the five levels of the house while the new rear façade with full height glass windows maximizes light and transparency. The interior detailing and finishes are respectful of the townhouse typology yet expressed in a modern vocabulary.
(Photography credits: Todd Eberle)