Prominently located on London’s Piccadilly, this contemporary art gallery is housed in a former grand banking hall designed in 1923 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Because of its listed historic status, only marginal alterations could be made to the extant interiors and exteriors. Simple, removable self-supporting partitions now line the original Edwardian wood paneled walls, and a sophisticated art lighting system was installed with careful consideration of the strong geometry of Lutyens’ ceilings, thus creating appropriate context for the exhibition of contemporary art. The goal was to reveal and exalt the beautiful proportions, ample fenestration, and classical detailing of the original architecture. The gallery was a collaborative effort with London-based Philip Gumuchdjian Associates.
(Photography credits: Goswin Schwendiger. Courtesy of Hauser & Wirth)