Selldorf Architects is working with Diamond Schmitt and Two Row Architect on the 50,000 sf expansion of the Art Gallery of Ontario to house their growing collection of global modern and contemporary art. Consisting almost entirely of gallery space, the proposed expansion would occupy an infill site above the existing loading dock between the AGO and the Ontario College of Art and Design. The gallery’s previous expansion, led by architect Frank Gehry, opened in 2008 with 97,000 sf of new space. That was the latest in a series of expansions and renovations to the gallery’s downtown building. Its oldest portion is a colonial manor house dating to 1817. The current project is aiming for Net Zero Carbon certification, which would make it one of only a few museum spaces globally to accomplish this.
For more information, see the press release on the
Art Gallery of Ontario’s website.